Indian Penal Codes
Indian Penal Codes: IPC stands for “Indian Penal Code”. The code which is used to punish criminals inside India by Indian courts is called the Indian Penal Code. We shortly call it as IPC.
There are 511 sections in the Indian penal code, which is subdivided into 23 chapters. Now the question arises, who is the father or founder of Indian Penal Code? Your question’s answer is that Babington Macaulay is the father of the Indian Penal Code.
The Indian penal code was drafted in the year 1860, which was recommended by the law commission of India. From that day we are using IPC.
You may also like: Fundamental Rights of India
As we mentioned earlier, there are 23 chapters in the Indian Penal Code. Now we have to see which chapter indicates which type of crime.
Indian Penal Code (IPC) Chapters
|IPC Chapter||Content||Number of Section|
|Chapter-I||Introduction to IPC||00-05|
|Chapter- V(A)||Criminal Conspiracy||120(A)- 120 (B)|
|Chapter-VI||Offense Against the State||120-130|
|Chapter- VII||An offense relating to the Army, Navy, and Air Force||130-140|
|Chapter-VIII||Offense against the Public Tranquillity||140-160|
|Chapter-IX||Offense by or Relating to Public Servants||161-171|
|Chapter-IX (A)||An offense relating to Electors||171(A) – 171(I)|
|Chapter-X||Contempt of the Lawful Authority of Public servant||172-190|
|Chapter-XI||Flsevidence and Offenses against Public Justice||191-229(A)|
|Chapter-XII||An offense relating to coin and Government Stamps||230-263 (A)|
|Chapter- XIII||Offense Relating to Weight and Measures||264-267|
|Chapter-XIV||Offenses Affecting the Public Health, safety, convenience, Decency and Morals||268-294|
|Chapter-XV||An offense relating to Religion||295-298|
|Chapter-XVI||Offense against the Human Body||299-377|
|Chapter-XVII||Offense against Property of theft||378-462|
|Chapter-XVIII||An offense relating to Documents and to Property Marks||463-489|
|Chapter-XIX||The Criminal Breach of contracts of service||490-492|
|Chapter-XX||Offenses Relating to Marriage||493-498|
|Chapter-XX (A)||Cruelty by Husband or Relatives of Husband||498A|
|Chapter-XXII||Criminal Intimation, Insulted Anyone||503-510|
|Chapter-XXIII||Attempts to Commit Offenses||511|
Do you know what is Article 370?
Some Important IPC Rules
- IPC 034: Acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention
- IPC 120: Concealing design to commit an offense punishable with imprisonment
- IPC 201: Causing disappearance of evidence of the offense, or giving false information to screen
- IPC 300: Murder
- IPC 302: Punishment for Murder
- IPC 307: Attempt to Murder
- IPC 309: Attempt to commit suicide.
- IPC 312: Causing miscarriage
- IPC 360: Abduction
- IPC 365: Kidnapping or abducting with intent secretly and wrongfully to confine a person
- IPC 376: Punishment for rape.
- IPC: 377: Unnatural offenses
- IPC 378: Theft
- IPC 395: Punishment for dacoity
- IPC 396: Dacoity with murder Punishment
- IPC 415: Cheating
- IPC 499: Defamation.
- IPC 511: 1. Punishment for attempting to commit offences punishable with imprisonment for life or other